Sphider-plus version 3.2018b - The PHP Search Engine

Forum for the original Sphider.

Dear Shpider friends, dear supporters,

It seems that I have done something that should not be done, but I a have no idea how this could be possible fixed. When I try to re-index, it would display this message:
"Logging option is set, but cannot open file for logging."

Short before I had problems to index files bigger them 1MB, the indexing always failed if meet such a file. As soon it was excluded, everything was fine again.

If you have an idea about this two probelms, it would be really great.

Thanks in advance!

Options:   Reply Quote
<<<Logging option is set, but cannot open file for logging>>>
Have a look at your Sphider installation, and verify whether the subfolder
…/admin/log/
is part of your installtion. Additionally the PHP scripts need write privileges to this subfolder and all the log files, which will be stored in this folder.

<<< Short before I had problems to index files bigger them 1MB, the indexing always failed if meet such a file >>>
When the problem occurs, which message did you receive on your monitor? The Sphider scripts do not contain a limit of 1MB. Which size is defined in your php.ini as part of the server environment? Should be
memory_limit=256M

Tec

Tec Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> <<>>
> Have a look at your Sphider installation, and
> verify whether the subfolder
> …/admin/log/
> is part of your installtion. Additionally the PHP
> scripts need write privileges to this subfolder
> and all the log files, which will be stored in
> this folder.
>
> <<< Short before I had problems to index files
> bigger them 1MB, the indexing always failed if
> meet such a file >>>
> When the problem occurs, which message did you
> receive on your monitor? The Sphider scripts do
> not contain a limit of 1MB. Which size is defined
> in your php.ini as part of the server environment?
> Should be
> memory_limit=256M
>
> Tec

Thanks a lot for you hints. In regard of the log issue, if I disable to write a log file, the indexing works again.
The folder "…/admin/log/" exists, but is empty.

In regard of the size problem, it shows such:

Spidering [....Link....]
1. Retrieving: [....Link....] at 17:32:40.
already in database
2. Retrieving: [....Link....] at 17:32:40.
already in database
3. Retrieving: [....Link....]l at 17:32:41.
already in database
4. Retrieving: [....Link....]l at 17:32:41.
already in database
5. Retrieving: [....Link....] at 17:32:41.
already in database
6. Retrieving: [zugangzureinsicht.org] at 17:32:41.
Size of page: 1526.18kb. Starting indexing at 17:32:41.

This problem (stopping at big files) is new, it didn't arose some time ago.

In regard to the php.ini, I am (like mostly) a little ashamed, but I do not really know where I should find such. If you have any hint, I am more that grateful.

Thanks like always for you generosity and compromise less support.

your in deep respect
Johann

<<< if I disable to write a log file, the indexing works again. The folder "…/admin/log/" exists, but is empty. >>>
Sounds like a missing 'write' permission for your Sphider scripts.
By means of a FTP utility chmod the folder …/admin/ inclusive all its scripts and all its subfolder with 755
Depending on your server, it might become necessary to use chmod 777

<<< where I should find php.ini ? >>>
As part of your server software, you will find the file in folder …/php/
E.g.:
…/xampp/php/php.ini
If you are running your Sphider on a 'Shared Hosting' server, you will not have access to this file. In order to overwrite the settings of your provider, create a file called php.ini in the root folder of your Sphider installation with the following content:

allow_url_fopen = on;
memory_limit=256M;

Might become necessary to place this file, with the same Content, also in the …/admin/ folder. But not all 'Shared Hosting' providers will allow you to overwrite their settings.

But I just tried to index the URL (which failed for you) by means of the original Sphider. Same problem to me. The original Sphider dies after some time because of a MySQL 'time out'. As you wrote, in former times, it has been no problem to index this URL. Well, eventually the content of this page meanwhile has been modified.

By the way, Sphider-plus does it all quite well. With respect to the different index options, the indexer may respond with the message: Page contains less then x words.

Additional info: the W3C 'Markup Validation Service' encounters 17 HTML errors for this URL. Consequently I am not surprised that the original Sphider silently dies.

Tec

Thanks a lot for all your anchors to investigate. Even thought most is (shame) just like chines, I am sure that it will help me a little further and go through all issues.

I have seen that the php.ini (could find and upload it) contains memory_limit=128M; , but since it dies which yours as well, it should not be the main problem. (I am not able to overwrite the ini file, as it seems).

I will go through the 'Markup Validation Service' (thanks for pointing out this service), yet other files (smaller) are not different and might have the same mistakes. But lets investigate.

So it does not seems to be primary issue of those html errors as well.

Thanks a lot!!

Dear Tec,

"luckily" on your advice I could manage to fix all Validation errors, Thanks by the way for that.

Still I could not fix the problem. Do you have any other idea what the reason could be? One file it gets stuck is this for example: [zugangzureinsicht.org]

Thanks a lot for you precious time and care.

metta & mudita
Johann

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login